Saturday, October 30, 2010

Oh god, mountains. I missed them so much.

I'm currently typing this from a hotel in Fairfax, Virginia. The connection here is lame and slow, too slow to realistically upload pictures, so they will have to come later.

Until I get a chance for a real update, here's the tl;dr version:

Thurs the 28th: Left Chicago. Super-slabbed it through light rain to Detroit, where I met a girl. Motel 6'ed it for the night.

Fri the 29th: Left Detroit, headed south through Ohio through some nasty crosswinds. Took the bike for some VERY light off-roading, found someplace to camp down an ATV trail in Wayne National Forest. Found out that my sleeping pad had a leak.

Sat the 30th: Started the day with ice on the inside of my tent, and heavy layer of frost on the bike. Headed east from Athens, Ohio, hoping to find an REI to exchange my sleeping pad at. Found that the closest one was in Virginia, so I burned miles along Rt 50 all day (which has some amazing stretches, BTW) and got to the REI in Fairfax, VA, around 6:30pm. Got a hotel for the night, which is where I am now.

Pics will come in the next few days. The plan now is to make my way down the Blue Ridge Parkway, to the Great Smokey Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment