Wednesday, November 10, 2010

New River Gorge and Blue Ridge Parkway

The place we had done the Zip Line adventure was in the New River Gorge, famous for the annual "Bridge Day" event where BASE jumpers and rappellers are permitted to use the bridge's 876 foot height above the river below for their enjoyment. It's a very scenic bridge, in a very pretty area.



Photobucket
(Usually I would use Photoshop magic to fill in the black, but there's just too much information to try and generate, it looked lousy)

Photobucket

My dad, who at this point is so old that he would drop dead if he tried to act his age, took the opportunity to show off that even though he's old, he's still a gymnast.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There was a little one-way road, what I'm assuming was the old way of getting across the gorge before the big bridge was built, that goes down to the base of the gorge and across a small bridge to the other side. In addition to providing some neat pictures of the big bridge, it was also super-narrow and twisty and fun as hell :D

Photobucket


(I had to keep stopping to wait for my dad in his van. Stupid cages)

After doing the zip-line thing, we both headed down to Ashville for the night, by super-slab :( We were trying to make up time, and it was late by that time. Stupid me trying to have a schedule on a motorcycle trip.

After spending the night in a hotel in Ashville, and getting completely lost due to me not being able to see the GPS screen in my tank bag map pouch in direct sunlight, and then after a good chunk of the parkway being closed for construction, giving us a 40-mile detour, we finally found the Parkway and I finally finished this stupid long sentence.

Photobucket

Oh, parkway. How I less-then-three all of you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pictures of my bike in front of stuff!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Holy crap, me AND the bike next to stuff!

Photobucket

And, again, my dad being my dad. Yes, we get it, you're in much better shape then someone a third your age.

Photobucket

Photobucket
(Fortunately, I was able to convince him NOT to take an even ruder picture.)

The Blue Ridge Parkway spits you out at into the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, but that wasn't my big interest. It was stuff like this!

Photobucket

Most people reading this already know what's coming next, but for those who don't, the Great Smokey Mountains National Park's southern border is a little section of US 129, a road which has . . . special properties.

No comments:

Post a Comment